Thursday, July 1, 2010

Alto Caballero

Hi, from Alto Caballero! Eight of us (Annette, Eli, Amanda, Katie, Lexi, Ms. Metzger, and I) came to the school this morning to teach the children about handwashing and teeth brushing. Unfortunately, Panama has it´s own time - and our ride was an hour and a half late.And our ride? An ambulance... the size of a land rover. All 8 of us squeezed in the back and off we went. We didn´t get to the school as soon as we wanted, but it still turned out ok.
We taught a class of 39 kindergarteners how to wash their hands using a bowl, and a bar of soap. By the end, the water was disgustingly dirty! Each of them got a bar of soap, a toothbrush, and toothpaste to take home. We also talked about teeth brushing - and I was the working model. I pretended to brush my knee with it - they yelled no! Then I pretended to brush my hair with it - they yelled no! Then I pointed to my teeth and they yelled yes! :) So cute.
The assistant principal, Alexander, speaks very good English and helped us translate the whole day. He was great! We were so thankful to have him because we have to do tag-teaming spanish speaking to come up with full sentences. Haha.
We can´t wait to get back to the states. It´s been a long couple of weeks, but good. :)

Hasta MaƱana!

1 comment: