Monday, July 26, 2010

Back to reality

Since being back I have constantly been asked "So how was Panama? Tell me all about it." Truth is, words can't describe the experience I had while I was in Panama. There are only so many photos/videos I can show and stories describing the culture, people, and my time spent there, but really nothing gives it justice. My experience in Panama was amazing. Those of us who went all challenged ourselves to be immersed in a culture outside of ourselves and be flexible with the change in food, living environment (both sleeping and bathing), and the language. I definitely grew as an individual and realized a lot about myself. I guess sometimes it takes being outside of your comfort zone to really appreciate all you have and learn your potential. Now thats i'm home, I constantly find myself waking up in the morning, taking a HOT shower, checking for emails/messages via my Blackberry, and driving to work in my own car. I then think "wow..." and reflect back on the communities we visited, with people who didn't even have running water, shoes on their feet, or a floor in their homes. I was definitely impacted by this trip and hope to continue to remember the good/bad of the experience. I hope to do traveling nursing and think that Panama was a great introduction to my plan. I would definitely go again in a heart beat and recommend the experience to other nursing students.

No comments:

Post a Comment