Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Watching the birth of a baby

While in Panama I got the chance to watch a baby be born. It was in the hospital down the road from the compound in San Felix. In comparison to the U.S. the facility seemed to be lacking the equipment and pharmaceuticals to deliver a baby. The soon to be mother was only given IBuprofen which was very surprising to myself and my peers. Once she was 9 cm dilated she had to get up, walk across the hall, and then climb on to a bed. Once she was on the bed the baby basically fell out. There was a complication as the umbilical cord was wrapped around it's neck. The physician acted quickly and cut the cord. He then worked with a baby for about a min until it finally started to breath. He then pulled the sack out and assessed the patient. It was an amazing experience as it was and being that I got to experience my first birth in Panama makes it all the more special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment