Monday, July 19, 2010

GRACIAS!

Taking Community and Public Health in Panama has been such a blessed experience. I am so thankful for this opportunity, to be a part of something that truly has an impact on the lives of others. I would love to say that I have changed Panama, but the truth is Panama has changed me. I have always known that I wanted to work in other countries as a Registered Nurse, but I never really knew what that meant. It was sort of glorified in my mind because I had never done it. However, after this experience I am aware of the hardships that come with working in other countries. It is not easy being taken out of your element and not speaking the native language. It is far less easy however to see the poverty in which others live. A poverty that is so bad, I wouldn't want my dog to live there. There is a beauty that comes with working in other countries though. One that will never be matched in any other area of my life. I was able to get to know this entirely different population, and help them in whatever manner I was able to. It sparked something in me that I knew I had, but never fully understood. It has always been my dream to go to Africa and work with Doctors without Borders; but, now I think I might want something more permanent, like the joining the Peace Corps. I never knew I could do something so drastic, but this trip has helped me realize my potential. I pushed myself in Panama more than I ever have in my life. I climbed a Volcano, I learned how to surf, I learned about a totally different culture, I made new friendships, and most importantly, I became a better nurse. Whatever I end up doing in life, I will never forget this class and the friendships I have made.
Special thanks to Dr. Cadena, Ms. Metzger and Mr. Stewart. Without you guys, this trip wouldn't have worked! Also, thank you to my fellow students! Getting to know you all has been amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment