Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The health fair

I have to say out of everything I did and experienced in Panama the best time I had was at the health fair. It was great to feel like I participated in something that helped the native people of Panama. It was some what overwhelming to see the enormous need of the people and the lack of resources that exists there. I know that many of my peers and I felt the pressure when we were giving the immunizations. Two nurses where shouting out what to give and to whom but there were so many people around that you had to triple check to make sure that you had the right drug and the right person. The language barrier added to this stressful situation. In the U.S. the environment is so controlled and an atmosphere like this would be unacceptable. Everytime I come in to my hospital now I am extremely grateful for all the resources that are available and the regulations that attempt to make patient care more safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment