Monday, July 19, 2010

Volcan Baru

One of my most memorable experiences was the hike up Volcan Baru in Boquete. We had the joys of leaving San Felix for the weekend, which was much needed! I went on the 17 mile hike with the "Metzger" group and we all rocked it. It was probably one of the hardest physical challenges I have ever done in my life but once I reached the top, it was all worth it. The view was amazing! We were told that this was the highest point in Panama and from the summit we were able to see both the Pacific and Caribbean oceans. To be among the clouds literally felt like I was on top of the world and for a second I seemed to forget how exhausting the 7 hour hike up had been. We ate lunch at 13,000 ft and then trekked down in the rain, which really made the experience that much more fun (especially all the falls in the dirt and how delirious we all were). I was amazed by the change in weather that occurred so quickly. As we walked up, you could feel the temperature drop by several degrees. I couldn't believe we were in 50 degree weather with layers of clothes on, when days before we were dying from the heat/humidity. Our guide told us that the hike up Volcan Baru is the hardest in Panama, Central & South America. To have finished the 12 hour hike was a great feeling of accomplishment. We laughed and compared the hike to nursing school, in which "if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger." It was truely an unforgettable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment