Thursday, July 1, 2010

School day


Today we all went to different communities and visited the schools. My group was me, Christine, Josh, Hannah, Meredith, Sophie, and Dr. Cadena. We went to the school in Soloy, which is a rural town. I must say today was one of my favorite days. We went to three different classrooms teaching the 4th and 5th graders how to brush their teeth, floss their teeth, and wash their hands. It was really fun and I feel like the kids really enjoyed themselves. We also joined in a school wide recycling activity. The children were taught that trash is a breeding ground for mosquitos which cause Dengue fever. It was a lot of fun. I made friends with the smallest 9-year-old I have ever seen and we worked together picking up trash. I have noticed that most kids here are very small at least when compared to children in the U.S. I guess the indigenous people are generally smaller in stature and build. All the children were really excited about fighting Dengue by picking up the trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment